Deliciously Delicious Penang


The writer enjoying a bowl of Chendol


I love Penang ! How much ? Well just mention the word “Penang” and immediately vivid images of Nasi Kandar, Char Kway Teow and Penang Laksa will come to my mind and I’m already contemplating my next trip there. No other state in Malaysia has such a profound impact on me such as this little island up north.

Known from the British era as “The Pearl of the Orient”, Penang has everything to keep me amused from ancient temples, charming colonial buildings, resorts, beautiful beaches and abundant natural habitat. Penang is also a shopping haven and its mouth-watering culinary delights keep my hungry palate satisfied !


Waiting for the Durian to come into season

Jack Fruit, another local fruit


My family and I make it a point to visit Penang at least once a year. One of my favourite destination in Penang is Batu Feringgi, we love to spend hours just sun bathing or partaking in the beach activity such as going for a ride on the banana boat or taking the hi speed jet-ski for some action.


Beautiful beach at Batu Feringgi


There are lots of things that you can see and do in Penang, one of my favourite is to take a walk along the historical buildings in Georgetown admiring the architectures. Whenever I bring friends over to Penang for the first time, we always make a stop at Fort Cornwallis, a tourist destination to commemorate the arrival of Captain Francis Light.

My ritual before leaving Penang each time would be to stop at my favourite Chendol shop which is "Penang Famous Chendol" near Komtar for a mouthful of sugar and splendour ! I also often stop by Air Itam to savour its bountiful local fruits which are in season before packing a box of Tau Sar Piah and dried nutmeg back home as gifts for friends.

I've lost count of the number of times I have visited Penang, but each trip is never the same, there is always some excitement and adventure like taking a trishaw ride in the bustling city of Georgetown or listening to the monks chanting at Kek Lok Si temple while pilgrims light the lotus candle. There's a feeling of yearning and of belonging when I think of Penang, It is about who I am and what Malaysia represents; different cultures living in harmony and side by side and their abiding love for food which makes every dish in Penang truly flavoursome and mouth-watering !

Mango, one of the most favourite fruits among tourists


Getting to Penang from KL : There are many ways to get to Penang, the fastest would be to take a flight from Subang Airport / KLIA / LCC Terminal. The island is also easily accessible via public bus transportation or car as Penang is linked to the mainland strip of Seberang Prai by a road-bridge. Visitors can also opt to take a train to Butterworth and thereafter take a ferry over to the island.

Comments

Popular Posts